PSA: Unauthorized Access (resolved)

Fr. Joel Free Range

Around January 15th, 2019, I discovered unauthorized access to the BrotherPriest.com website. An unknown party had managed to create an administrative account. This gave them access to any and all content on the website including visitors’ comments and feedback that had been submitted through the website form. They did not have had access to emails that I sent or received through my BrotherPriest.com email address, nor to the subscriber list email addresses.

The account appears to have been created on October 2, 2018. The only damage I could find was two posts that had been modified by the addition of links to websites: real-estate, hardware, and a news article on lottery winners. There was no other damage or evidence of malicious activity. I took steps to secure the blog and repair the damage. In doing so, I seem to have broken the media player and also disabled the emailing of new posts to subscribers. For subscribers who depend on an email it appeared that I had stopped posting.

The podcast continued to function normally. I believe the player has been fixed. Subscribers are once again being notified of new posts. Thank you to Steve, Todd, and Brenda for bringing these issues to my attention. Please let me know if you notice any continuing or additional problems. Thank you.