Ordinary Time, 29th Sunday. God uses Cyrus, king of Persia, to accomplish His plan for the “chosen one.” The Thessalonians were chosen by God to spread His good news, using the language of the Greeks and the Roman roads. God is working behind world events to accomplish His plan. Our Gospel warns us that there are more important things than who gets our taxes and how much we pay. God wants to be the Lord of their lives and their country. But the leaders have their minds made up — they are not open to the truth. Do we accept God’s Lordship, or do we have our minds made up? Render to Ceasar the things that are Ceasar’s, and to God what belongs to God….what does not belong to God?
(19 Oct 2014)
Point to Ponder:
- What is my biggest worry or concern right now?
- Does it really merit the amount of effort I am putting into it?
- What might be more important?
Point for Discussion:
- What does not belong to God?
- How might the answer affect my political views?